arch-vt8500 and wm8850 support

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Wed Nov 14 06:17:32 EST 2012

On Wednesday 14 November 2012, Tony Prisk wrote:
> Hi Arnd,
>
> Just looking for a little advice re: adding support for the WM8850
> variant.
>
> At the moment we have the ARM926 variants under ARCH_VT8500. The WM8850
> is ARMv7, but uses all the same drivers as the ARM926 versions. At the
> moment, all the drivers depend on ARCH_VT8500.
>
> The obvious solution (to me at least) seems to be to have 3 groups -
> ARCH_VT8500 keeps everything it has now except 'select CPU_ARM926T', and
> we add 2 additional groups - the first for all the current models, which
> selects CPU_ARM926T and ARCH_VT8500, and a second for WM8850 which
> selects CPU_V7 and ARCH_VT8500.

Yes, makes sense. Actually with the move to multiplatform, you already
need to make the decision for the CPU earlier on, since the multiplatform
kernel can only be built either for ARMv4/v5 or for ARMv6/v7.

I would suggest doing it like

config ARCH_VT8500
	bool
	select FOO
	select BAR

config ARCH_WM8505
	bool "WonderMedia WM8505 or VIA VT8500"
	depends on ARCH_MULTI_V5
	select ARCH_VT8500
	select CPU_ARM926

config ARCH_WM8650
	bool "WonderMedia WM 8650"
	depends on ARCH_MULTI_V6
	select ARCH_VT8500
	select CPU_V6

config ARCH_WM8850
	bool "WonderMedia WM 8750/8850"
	depends on ARCH_MULTI_V7
	select ARCH_VT8500
	select CPU_V7

This keeps ARCH_VT8500 as the overall name for the family, but
lists only the WonderMedia parts in the configuration.

	Arnd