usb clock not found on imx27 when using dt

trem tremyfr at yahoo.fr
Mon Nov 12 15:17:42 EST 2012

On 12/11/12 08:54, s.hauer at pengutronix.de wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 08:34:34PM +0000, Philippe Reynes wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I try to add the support of usb on my armadeus apf27,
>> but there is a problem when try to reclaim the clock.
>> imx_usb mxc-ehci.0: Failed to get clock, err=-2
>>
>> To avoid adding too many attachment to this mail,
>> I've put all the information on a website. You can
>> found them here:  http://ryu.zarb.org/~trem/armadeus/
>>

>> The initial issue is in the directory : 20121110
>>
>> boot-3.7-rc4.log : boot log with the issue
>> linux-3.7-rc4.config : the configuration file for the kernel
>> investifation.txt : the description of my investigation.
>
> You should really post the relevant bits on the mailing list. Nobody
> visits websites for investigating your issue. Besides, it will not be
> in the mailing list archives so people will not find it later.

You're right, I add an archive with all log as attachment.

>> I've tried to fix the clock issue, but another issue occurs.
>> The information about this "fix" is in : 20121111
>> boot-3.7-rc4.log : boot log with the new issue
>> issue.txt : the description of the change done on the kernel
>>
>> I've got severals questions :
>> - does my dts correct with usb change ?
>> - does someone has already tested usb on imx27 with dt ?
>
> Please investigate in using the chipidea driver. This will be the way
> forward for i.MX.

I use the chipidea driver for the usb.

The main issue is that the chipidea driver don't found the clock :

[    0.761693] imx_usb mxc-ehci.0: Failed to get clock, err=-2
[    0.767620] imx_usb: probe of mxc-ehci.0 failed with error -2

The driver ci13xxx_imx request the clock in the probe function
in the following line:
data->clk = devm_clk_get(&pdev->dev, NULL);
calling: clk = clk_get(dev, id);
calling: clk_get_sys(dev_id, con_id);
calling: clk_find(dev_id, con_id);
with dev_id = mxc-ehci.0 and con_id = NULL
This last function fail to found a clock.

In the function mx27_clocks_init, several mxc-ehci.0
clocks are registered, but all with a con_id.

So the function clk_find fails.

As I'm not really sure of the dts, I don't know if the problem
is in the dts or in the driver (maybe both).

Regards,
Philippe