Building for MMU-less vexpress targets

Rob Herring robherring2 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 17:59:15 EST 2012

On 11/06/2012 04:14 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 09:14:49PM +0000, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>> The other point is being able to build such a kernel, and this is what Will
>> seems to be interested in more. We have made VEXPRESS depend on
>> MULTIPLATFORM, which broke support for building a non-MMU vexpress kernel,
>> and I think we should fix that. The two options are either to make
>> vexpress be single-platform when building for !MMU, or to allow multiplatform
>> kernels to be built without MMU support in principle. I think the second
>> option is more logical and avoids complex Kconfig constructs.
>
> The other thing here is... why does a platform which _was_ able to be
> built in isolation from every other platform suddenly become incapable
> of being so when they join the multiplatform conglomerate?  This just
> sounds totally perverse and wrong.

Arnd and I discussed this some at Connect regarding VExpress being
selected. This is only to prevent the warning that no machine is enabled
in a randconfig or user error case. We could simply remove this error or
make it a warning instead. Then selecting a single platform is a matter
of only selecting 1 platform.

> Surely it should be: platforms _not_ yet converted to multiplatform
> can't be selected with multi-platform support enabled?
>
> So, maybe the _proper_ solution here is:
>
> - change the big choice to be: config SINGLE_xxx
>   - these select config MACH_FOO / PLAT_FOO / ARCH_FOO
>   eg,
> 	config SINGLE_FOO
> 		bool "Support for foo platforms in single kernel"
> 		select MACH_FOO
> - add a final option: config MULTIPLATFORM
> - then add:
>
> config MULTI_FOO
> 	bool "Include support for foo platforms"
> 	select MACH_FOO
> 	depends on MULTIPLATFORM || !MMU
>
> config MACH_FOO
> 	bool

I'd rather see less xxx_FOO config symbols rather than more.

Wouldn't this break defconfigs?

Rob