scheduler clock for MXS [Was: Re: Wakeup latency measured with SCHED_TRACER depends on HZ]

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Mon Nov 5 17:28:59 EST 2012

On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 05:09:13PM +0100, Stanislav Meduna wrote:

> > I should say it's practically not OK since it wraps in such a short
> > period.  But it actually works as expected.
> >
> >> Hmm, does it wrap after 2 seconds?
> >
> > Yes, it does wrap after ~2 seconds.
>
> This is weird. AFAIK the printk should be using sched_clock(),
> which is a weak symbol overridden in arch/arm/kernel/sched_clock.c
> and it should take care of the extension to never-ever-wrapping
> 64-bit timestamp. Looks that it does not and if it does not,
> I think there is more to be worried of than just printk timestamps.

It most certainly does handle the wrapping correctly - it was designed
to from the very start.

> BTW this patch deserves IMHO looking at
>   https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/1193631/
> but it is probably not the problem here.

Yes, that patch is probably required... if an update to the sched_clock
epoch happens on a different CPU, then the epoch cycles can be in advance
of the read clock cycle value.  That needs to get into my patch system.