Query about: ARM11 MPCore: preemption/task migration cache coherency

snakky.zhang at gmail.com snakky.zhang at gmail.com
Thu May 31 21:11:59 EDT 2012

On 2012年06月01日 00:04, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> On 31 May 2012 15:46,<snakky.zhang at gmail.com>  wrote:

>> Yes, seems newer CPUs has no such limitation thus this function is global
>> effective naturally. :-)
>>
>> And , I find Mips's c-r4k also has this issue but it use IPI to make it.
>> Details in arch/mips/mm/c-r4k.c.
> Rather than IPI we would better use the read-for-ownership trick like
> in this patch to make flush_dcache_page global (no need for
> write-for-ownership):

I think write for ownership is necessary for flush_dcache_xxx: Read
guarantee local data cache get
newest data, at the same time write guarantee the data can be flushed
into memory.

See Section 7.1 of ARM11 MPCore. Processor Technical Reference
Manual(Revision: r2p0) P146/728:
======
Clean Applies to write-back data caches. If the cache line targeted by
the Clean
operation contains stored data that has not yet been written out to main
memory, it is written to main memory, and the line is marked as clean.
======

So I am afraid without the write action, the "clean & invalidate" action
later will not write data back to main
memory.

Another question here:  Why the flush_kern_dcache_xxx in
arch/arm/mm/cache-v6 use "clean & invalidate"
progress instead of "clean"? Seems clean is enough here.

Please fix me if I mis-understand something.

> http://dchs.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg125075.html
>
> (it may no longer apply, I haven't checked it for some time).
>
> That's the first thing. Secondly you still need preemption disable so
> that it is not preempted between RFO and the actual cache cleaning.

PREEMPT. :-)

Get it. But currently, I can't find anything related to ARMv6 MPCore
conflict with PREEMPT. So if it is also
necessary to add something in Documentation and related Kconfig to
describe it and make sure PREEMPT
can't been enabled on such CPUs?

Thanks
Xiao