Query about: ARM11 MPCore: preemption/task migration cache coherency

snakky.zhang at gmail.com snakky.zhang at gmail.com
Thu May 31 03:46:37 EDT 2012

On 2012年05月31日 15:21, bill4carson wrote:

> On 2012年05月31日 14:56, Catalin Marinas wrote:

>>> Then, why not fix "flush_dcache_page" to make it globally effective?
>>
>> Performance?
>>
>> And it's also just ARM11MPCore microarchitecture specific.

Yes, seems newer CPUs has no such limitation thus this function is
global effective naturally. :-)

And , I find Mips's c-r4k also has this issue but it use IPI to make it.
Details in arch/mips/mm/c-r4k.c.

 From my point of view, PREEMPT should not related to CPU type. So if
this type of CPU does not support PREEMPT for performance reason, can we
add something in Documentation and related Kconfig to make/mark it?

Or maybe disable task migration is also a choice. :-)

Thanks
Xiao