moving Tegra30 to the common clock framework

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Sun May 13 00:31:42 EDT 2012

On 05/11/2012 08:58 PM, Saravana Kannan wrote:
> On 05/09/2012 03:36 AM, Peter De Schrijver wrote:

>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> I don't think I need (2). But I don't think I can use (1) as is either.
>>> I can use (1) with some additional code in my set rate op.
>>>
>>> While set rate is in progress, both the parents might need to stay
>>> enabled for a short duration. So, in my internal set rate, I need to
>>> check if my clock is prepared/enabled and call prepare/enable on the
>>> "old parent", call __clk_reparent (which will reduce the ref count for
>>> the old parents and increase it for the new parents), finish the
>>> reparent in HW and then unprepare/disable the old parent if I have
>>> prepared/enabled them earlier.
>>>
>>> It might be beneficial to provide something like a
>>> __clk_reparent_start(new_parent, *scratch_pointer) and
>>> __clk_reparent_finish(*scratch_pointer) if it will be useful for more
>>> than just MSM. Based on this email, I would guess that Tegra would want
>>> something similar too.
>>>

>> We also need to reparent clocks using a pll if we want to change the
>> PLLs rate
>> while the users are active.
>
> Peter,
>
> Is this reparent permanent (as in, stays reparented when you return from
> clk_set_rate()) or is it a reparenting for just a short duration inside
> the set_rate ops?

I've seen both cases, and indeed the case sometimes depends on the
target rate of the clock.

For example, when the CPU clock changes, we basically do the following
within set_rate:

* Set CPU clock parent to some "backup" PLL
* Change the CPU PLL to the desired rate
* Set CPU clock parent to the CPU PLL

However, the lowest CPU clock rate we support is actually the rate that
the backup PLL runs at, so if we're targeting that rate, the CPU clock
set_rate /just/ does:

* Set CPU clock parent to some "backup" PLL

and leaves it there, until a different CPU clock rate is requested, at
which time the CPU clock will be re-parented back to the CPU PLL.