Cyclic DMA - callback properties and tx_status residue

Vinod Koul vinod.koul at linux.intel.com
Wed May 9 23:44:18 EDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 13:19 +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 12:16:15PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> > Looking at the code the current usage doesn't seem obviously wrong so
> > there's some work to do - we get a callback assigned on each descriptor
> > we submit so it's a bit surprising that this might not get delivered,
> > though as has been discussed further up the thread that's something that
> > might actually happen and perhaps we need to clarify the interfaces
> > here.

> the comments in include/linux/interrupt.h about the tasklet guarantees.
> Then look at (eg) the IMX DMA engine driver and ascertain how the
> callback is called.  Then look at soc-dmaengine-pcm's callback
> method.
>
> Put all this together and what you get is that there's absolutely no
> guarantee that the callback will be called for each period.
>
> You really won't know if it slips just one or two periods, because your
> audio output won't be affected by that.  It _may_ only become apparant
> if DMA catches up with the part of the buffer you're writing to.
>
> Amd I'm also willing to bet that the IMX DMA engine with ASoC has only
> been tested with an unloaded system.

DMAengine mandates the callback be called from tasklet. Yes under a very
heavy loaded systems there can be a certain case where callback maybe
delayed. Or the tasklet gets scheduled _once_ for couple of dma
completions, thus missed

But tell me what prevents the dmac driver for fixing this. In ISR they
can easily find which descriptor is completed and mark them so.
In tasklet, it can ensure that all callback are generated including
previous missed ones, if that is something the usage of dmaengine needs.

For audio needs I think it is fine if we miss, as long as subsequent
comes untill we get underrun/overrun.

Quite a few ASoC drivers use dmaengine today (cyclic was added keeping
audio in mind), so adding library helps to avoid each ASoC driver having
its own implementation. It indirectly ensures that APIs are properly
implemented as well and any bugs due to deviation form std behavior gets
identified and fixed!

> DMA engine is slowly getting better (mainly through my efforts at trying
> to extract common code, and fix down the API issues) but it needs folk
> with strong and good review skills to ensure that we stop the influx of
> non-conforming code and get that non-conforming code fixed.
Yes and a big Thanks for this. Russell, your contributions are very appreciated.

--
~Vinod