Development tree for Cortex-A15?

Jemma Jones jemmajones81 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 8 06:13:36 EDT 2012

> Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?

> On Fri, 4 May 2012 13:20:08 +0100 (BST), Jemma Jones
> <jemmajones81 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>>  Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?

> like the
>>>  most
> Cortex-A15
>>>  support?

> Note
> a v3.4
>>>  based

> arch/arm/mach-vexpress/
> there
>>>  is
> above)
>>>  you
> .config
>>>  as
>>>
>>>  No. The ARM tree in general is moving to the device tree, and
>>>  CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4 was always meant as a temporary hack until
>>>  the
>>>  VE-DT port was mature enough to be used.
>>>
>>>  As Paweł's DT work has been merged into 3.4, there is strictly no
> reason
>>>  to keep this hack around, and my recent trees do reflect that fact
>>>  (kvm-arm-v7-ael and kvm-arm-3.4). Christoffer may decide to keep this
> in
>>>  his tree during a transition period, but CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4 is
>>>  dead as far as I am concerned.
>>>
>>>  If you're just starting to play with KVM-ARM now, please don't
> rely on
>>>  the
>>>  A15 board file, it is a dead end.
>>
>>  Any chance you can send me a .config file that works on the kernel in
> this
>>  branch which runs on your A15x1 FastModel?
>
> Coming in a private email.

I didn't seem to get anything?

>>  I'm using the boot-wrapper from
>>  http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=arm/models/boot-wrapper.git;a=summary in
>>  semi hosting mode.
>>
>>  I managed to boot Android from that but I don't seem to be able to boot
>>  your kernel. It just stops after the boot-wrapper says loading uImage.
>
> Which dts file are you using?

I don't quite understand yet how the DT stuff is used. When I build the DTB files then I get vexpress-v2p-ca15-tc1.dtb in my arch/arm/boot directory. I assume that one is used then for my kernel image?

My .config has all the DT stuff enabled I think:
CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_DT=y
CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB=y
CONFIG_ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT=y

Or is that not correct?

I have now updated to you latest kvm-arm-3.4 branch.

But the kernel still does not boot up properly, or at least I don't seem to get any output. It just goes "Uncompressing Linux... done." and then does nothing.
I'm using the FastModel Cortex-A15x2 simulation.

Cheers
Jemma