[uClinux-dev] Running linux with mmu disabled on arm (AT91).

Greg Ungerer gerg at snapgear.com
Tue May 8 00:50:06 EDT 2012

Hi Paul,

On 02/05/12 01:24, Paul Chavent wrote:
> I'd like to try linux on an AT91SAM9G20 (i have a linuxstamp board), with MMU disabled (the Hyok-Sung Choi&  Hee-Chul Yun paper demonstrate that it could be possible).
>
> All the code seems to be present in the kernel...
> So i would like to share my experience.
>
> (1) I had to make two little changes in the kernel code :

Odd. Is it because DRAM_BASE is a numerical value?

>       - The soc_detect code that init the at91_soc_initdata structure is never called. Later this structure is used unitialized.
>       I'm currently using the joined patch as a workaround. Someone can review it please ?

It looks ok to me.

> (2) I used to run the module with a "classic system" based on linux + eglibc, and i needed only one toolchain (arm-xxx-linux-gnueabi) for the kernel and the userspace apps.
>       I found that for the nommu case i wasn't able to build the kernel with the userspace toolchain.
>       So I had to build 2 toolchain, based on binutils 2.22, gcc 4.7, uclibc 0.9.33.1 and linux 3.2.14 :
>         - an arm-xxx-eabi toolchain for the kernel
>         - an arm-xxx-uclinux-uclibceabi for the userspace apps
>       Do you confirm that it is not possible to compile the kernel with arm-xxx-uclinux-uclibceabi ? Or, may i have misconfigured the toolchain (i join the toolchain build procedure) ?

I build non-mmu ARM systems with the same toolchain. What was the failure condition
when building the kernel with the arm-yyy-uclinux-uclibceabi tool chain?

> (3) The arm-xxx-uclinux-uclibceabi with elf2flt seems to produce running bins only if it is build with the uClibc DOPIC not set.
>       Is it required to disable DOPIC ?
>       Moreover, i can't run bins produced with a arm-xxx-linux-uclibceabi toolchain and -Wl,-elf2flt (not uclinux one). Is it the expected behavior ?

Is it actually producing a FLAT format binary?
Maybe it is silently ignoring the "-Wl,-elf2flt".

> (4) The elf2flt needs to be updated to be aware of the exidx section, and some reloc types. I join the patch i currently use.

You shouldn't include a whole new elft2flt.ld for this. It is generated
(via autoconf) from the elf2flt.ld.in file. You should add your new
exidx section to that. If you want to generate a new patch with doing
it that way I can add it to the elf2flt CVS on uclinux.org.

> Given these observations, i've been able to run a linux with an hello world as the /init process.
>
> My next tests will be to run threaded programs, c++ programs, then busybox.

A good start at least.

Regards
Greg

Greg Ungerer  --  Principal Engineer        EMAIL:     gerg at snapgear.com
SnapGear Group, McAfee                      PHONE:       +61 7 3435 2888
8 Gardner Close                             FAX:         +61 7 3217 5323
Milton, QLD, 4064, Australia                WEB: http://www.SnapGear.com