Making ARM multiplatform kernels DT-only?

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Fri May 4 10:35:18 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 03:20:57PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> Debian tries very hard not to support anything in the kernel that
> upstream don't support in the kernel because otherwise it's way too
> much work. The current list of supplied arm kernels is:
>
> iop32x (ThecusN2100, intel SS4000, GLAN tank)
> ixp4xx (Linksys NSLU2)
> kirkwood (*plugs, QNAP NAS, OPenRD)
> orion5x (QNAP NAS, HP mv2120)
> versatile
> mx5
> omap
>
> because that's a good compromise between coverage and 'building 20-odd
> images'. I have no idea how much of that lot is going to get DTified,
> but I'm guessing the older stuff won't be?

Well, my understanding is that there's DT patches around for Versatile.
OMAP and MX5 are both heading for DT.  I'm less certain about the Orion
and Kirkwood stuff, but as they're only about 4 years old, I would hope
that there was some active movement for these.

The iop32x and ixp4xx stuff hasn't seen much in the way of maintenance
so its highly likely that these won't be converted to DT unless someone
with the hardware decides to step up and do it.

So, that means your list should reduce down to five kernels, or three if
the Orion/Kirkwood stuff gets converted to DT.