Current state of AM33xx patches

Hiremath, Vaibhav hvaibhav at ti.com
Wed Jun 27 08:07:58 EDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 18:33:13, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Vaibhav Hiremath <hvaibhav at ti.com> wrote:
> >
> > I do maintain wiki page which you should refer for any updates:
> > http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Sitara_Linux_Upstream_Status
> >
> > In order to get latest and greatest kernel to boot, you can use my repo:
> > https://github.com/hvaibhav/am335x-linux
>
> do you have any usable defconfig? I've some trouble with the build of
> this branch and I'm not sure about the configuration.
>
> > Also, note that, currently there will be very minimal feature-set
> > supported in the kernel, so not sure how much can be leveraged for
> > production use-cases.
>
> I need something that boots to userspace, nothing more (but I'm happy
> to test) :)

Sorry for delayed response, I went out of station, supposed to come back on
Monday itself but due to some known reason couldn't make it. I have just
resumed my work today. Sorry for inconvenience...

Coming back to your question,

Omap2plus_defconfig should work for you, you should get linux prompt with
ramdisk image (which I use). Just to be more clear, and for your reference I am pasting steps which I use for testing,

Build Steps:
============
 - make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=<toolchain> distclean
 - make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=<toolchain> omap2plus_defconfig
 - Enable option CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB and CONFIG_ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT
 - make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=<toolchain> uImage-dtb.am335x-evm
   (Since I am not using DT aware u-boot)

Use the ramdisk image to boot kernel, since we do not have support for any
storage devices in the mainline.

U-Boot commands to boot:
setenv bootcmd 'mmc rescan 0; fatload mmc 0 81000000 uImage; fatload mmc 0 82000000 ramdisk-pm.gz; bootm 81000000'
setenv bootargs 'console=ttyO0,115200n8 mem=128M root=/dev/ram rw initrd=0x82000000,16MB ramdisk_size=65536 earlyprintk=serial'
boot

Hope this will help you to boot the kernel on BeagleBone.

Thanks,
Vaibhav