[RFC] Support for 'Coda' video codec IP.

javier Martin javier.martin at vista-silicon.com
Wed Jun 20 10:10:27 EDT 2012

Hi,

On 20 June 2012 16:03, Shawn Guo <shawn.guo at linaro.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:00:15AM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
>> The approach a lot of platforms have been taking is that it's OK to keep
>> on maintaining existing boards using board files (especially for trivial
>> things like adding new devices).
>
> If the device is added without introducing any platform_data, we may
> take it as trivial things, but otherwise we are just creating something
> making the later device tree conversion difficult.

in this RFC I've added the firmware name as platform data just because
I don't know what will be the final name that Freescale will use to
upload the firmware to linux-firmware repository.
However, this platform data is not really needed; there are 3 coda
versions out there in different i.MX chips. We can just detect the
i.MX model and load the proper firmware based on this data.

If I drop this platform data it is OK with you if I don't add device
tree support by now?

Regards.
--
Javier Martin