Converting kirkwood-goflexnet to DTS

Jason Cooper jason at lakedaemon.net
Thu Jun 14 10:00:10 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 09:28:24AM -0400, Josh Coombs wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Jason Cooper <jason at lakedaemon.net> wrote:
>
> > I would recommend looking at how we did the first board, the dreamplug.
> > Files of interest are:
> >
> > arch/arm/boot/dts/kirkwood.dtsi
> > arch/arm/boot/dts/kirkwood-dreamplug.dts
> > arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/board-dt.c
> > arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/board-dreamplug.c
> > arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/Kconfig
> > arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/Makefile
> > arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/Makefile.boot
> >
> > commit 3d468b6 seems to be a good place to start.
> >
> > For your first patch series, use the dtb to tell the kernel what board
> > it is on.  Once that's working, then you just start coverting over
> > drivers one by one.  Several are already done.
>
> First pass didn't boot, no kernel messages.  I'm going to go through
> the ArchLinux ARM superpatch to see if there are any items not
> directly pegged to the GoFlex that might be involved next, as well as
> cutting my conf down to just what's needed for the GFN to cut down my
> build times.  While I'm doing that, what do I NEED to configure for
> proper DTS support?

> # CONFIG_SERIAL_OF_PLATFORM is not set

You'll need to set this ^^ and add the serial block to your dts file.  I
have a patch in the works to enable this and some other things by
default in kirkwood_defconfig.  So, hopefully this won't be an issue for
too much longer.

Also, EARLY_PRINTK is helpful if the bootloader already configured the
serial port.

hth,

Jason.