How to use linear mapping without DT?

ludovic.desroches ludovic.desroches at atmel.com
Thu Jun 14 05:54:36 EDT 2012

Hello,

In fact, my question depends on sparse irq, irq domain and non DT.

I have enabled sparse_irq use for at91 sub architecture. I don't know if
it is the good solution... I won't like to use n_irqs in my machine
descriptor. I think the goal of sparse irq is to allocate the irq
descriptor only when the irq is used. It's better than allocating the
range that can be managed by the controller which should be indicated by
nr_irqs.

In this case using the legacy irq domain is not the right solution since
I will have to allocate the range of irq managed by the controller.
Moving to linear irq domain should be better. Moreover, I have seen that
Grant may want to remove it.

So, how to move to linear irq domain? In DT case, all the interrupts
into the DT are mapped so the irq descriptor is allocated and my device
will have the right virq number. In non DT case, my device has an irq
number corresponding to a fixed value (which is in fact the hwirq
number) but probably not to any existing virq.

So how to get a valid virq? Do I have to call irq_create_mapping from my
driver? It's probably not the right way... Should I keep legacy domain
and set nr_irqs?

Thanks

Regards

Ludovic