Freescale fec.c driver breakage

Greg Ungerer gerg at snapgear.com
Wed Jun 6 03:41:08 EDT 2012

On 06/06/12 00:35, Steven King wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 June 2012 6:41:16 am Mark Brown wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 11:24:29PM +1000, Greg Ungerer wrote:
>>> Well, yeah, of course there are clocks involved. But you pretty much
>>> hit the point here. 'ipg' and 'ahb' here are platform specific.
>>
>> What should be happening for that is that the driver requests with some
>> generic name which is referenced to the IP (unfortunately these are
>> usually not documented for the public...) and then clkdev or some
>> platform specific code is used to map the names onto the underlying
>> clocks.
>>
>> If 'ahb' isn't suitable how about 'bus', and for 'ipg' how about 'mclk'
>> or something?
>
> Some of the newer Coldfire parts such as the m54455/m5441x do have software
> controllable clocks; but they keep it simple with one clock per fec, and
> names in the documentation like 'fec0, fec1' for the m54455
> and 'macnet0,macnet1' for the m5441x.

Most of the older ones don't. Most of the older parts that have a FEC
core have a single clock-in for the chip, possibly a PLL and often a
fixed divisor for distribuion to all on-chip peripherals. I have seen it
named various names, 'bclko', 'mclk', "fsys/2", nothing seems consistent.

I think very generic namse might be the best solution here.

Regards
Greg

Greg Ungerer  --  Principal Engineer        EMAIL:     gerg at snapgear.com
SnapGear Group, McAfee                      PHONE:       +61 7 3435 2888
8 Gardner Close                             FAX:         +61 7 3217 5323
Milton, QLD, 4064, Australia                WEB: http://www.SnapGear.com