Query about: ARM11 MPCore: preemption/task migration cache coherency

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Sun Jun 3 07:34:50 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 11:29:13AM +0800, Catalin Marinas wrote:

> > > Rather than IPI we would better use the read-for-ownership trick like
> > > in this patch to make flush_dcache_page global (no need for
> > > write-for-ownership):
> > >
> > > http://dchs.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg125075.html
> > >
> > > (it may no longer apply, I haven't checked it for some time).
> > >
> > > That's the first thing. Secondly you still need preemption disable so
> > > that it is not preempted between RFO and the actual cache cleaning.
> > >
> > And, another confusion for PREEMPT: Even if we disable preempt, with locally
> > effective flush_dcache_xxx, there is still possibility to reproduce such
> > issue(Similar with the previous case):
> >
> > 1) Task running on Core-0 loading text section into memory.
> >      It was schedule out and then migrate into Core-1;
> > 2) On Core-1, this task continue loading it and then
> >      "flush_dcache_page" to make sure the loaded text section write
> >      into main memory.
> > 3) Task tend to the loaded text section and running it.
> >
> > Similar as the previous case, the difference lies in step1 that the
> > task was interrupted by timer interrupt. Thus it still can be switch
> > out and then been migrate to another core. Thus in step2 and 3, this
> > issue may still been reproduced.  So, disable preempt can only lower
> > the possibility of this issue but can't avoid it.
>
> It would work as long as the data copying into the text area (done by
> the driver and VFS layer) and the flush_dcache_page() sequence are not
> preemptible. A timer interrupt between data copying and
> flush_dcache_page() would interrupt a kernel routine which is not
> preemptible.

And that doesn't matter because on a non-preemptible kernel, timer ticks
do _not_ cause the threads to be rescheduled while in kernel mode.  If
they did, it would be a _preemptible_ kernel.

The only things on a non-preemptible kernel which cause a schedule point
are functions which may sleep, so semaphores, waiting for events, etc.