remoteproc: Load coprocessor code to the specific main memory location

Michal Simek monstr at monstr.eu
Thu Jan 26 05:44:46 EST 2012

Ohad Ben-Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Michal Simek <monstr at monstr.eu> wrote:
>> I started with pur vanilla kernel and patches from your tree
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ohad/remoteproc.git
>> for-next branch
>> but then I had to moved to for-next-acked-merged because in the origin
>> one were some problems.
>
> Unlike for-next-acked-merged, the other branches aren't rebased and
> therefore have merge conflicts with 3.3 material; that's intentional.
>
>> Do you have any kernel tree with CMA just for sure?
>
> Not a 3.3-based one, so I recommend you to just merge Marek's branch directly.
>
> I'll soon create a full-fledged 3.3 branch though, so you may want to
> wait a bit until I get to it.

I have done it and tested. It works as expected. Thanks.
I have created region at phys addr 0x10000000 with selected size.
I had to move carveout in resource table to be first in this area.
Also removed that copying from kick function.

I have one small problem which is that physical address is 0x10000000
which means that firmware entry point is the same.
In rproc_load_segments is da composed from phdr->p_paddr which is 0x10000000.
And code is designed that this load addr is offset.

Here is the code:
	/* go through the available ELF segments */
	for (i = 0; i < ehdr->e_phnum; i++, phdr++) {
		u32 da = phdr->p_paddr; // OFFSET 0x10000000
		u32 memsz = phdr->p_memsz;

But for my case is physical address correct and it is not offset 0x10000000.
I have created temporary fix which substract virtual address to get correct da.

u32 da = phdr->p_paddr - phdr->p_vaddr;

What should be correct solution?

>> What do you use for firmware replacing?
>> Just remove kernel module and load different one?
>
> If your driver boots the remote core on its ->probe() handler, then
> yes, you need to unbind and bind the device.
>
> One way is to unload and load the driver, but you can also use the
> bind/unbind sysfs files of your driver (echo -n device-name >
> /sys/..../{un}bind).

ok. It also works.

Thanks,
Michal