i.MX SDMA questions

Matt Sealey matt at genesi-usa.com
Sun Feb 5 14:35:33 EST 2012

Top posting because I want to reframe by questions :)

Basically there are two ways we can do DMA here - take advantage of
the SDMA unit and it's events to "enable" a channel (which I find by
arduous code reading is done at slave config time) to receive events,
and enable the peripheral to respond to SDMA events (in libata this is
done at bmdma_setup and then bmdma_start). In this case the ATA FIFO
seems to be handled internally by the SDMA script so I don't need to
tell it (and Freescale's driver also doesn't) where the FIFO is for
transfer.. I'm still trying to figure out how I actually set this up
(why does the SSI dma usage require the RX/TX fifo addresses but ATA
not? I assume only because there are multiple SSI units and it's
easier to script as a variable than to have different scripts per SSI
unit? :)

Apart from that, would it be safe/happy usage of SDMA to request a
channel on probe and never release it OR are we expected to request,
configure, run and free the channel at every transfer setup so as to
give back to the pool of available channels?

The other way is to simply use the DMA unit to perform DMA transfers
from the ATA drive data register (a 16-bit value) - we can do this if
we override ata_sff_data_xfer and somehow configure a DMA operation to
read from or write to a particular portion of memory with an
incrementing counter, while the transfer location stays fixed. Given
SDMA is script based, is there a generic script for "read 16 bytes of
data, increment read counter, throw at fifo"? What do I set as my
peripheral_type? There is a script "ap_2_ap_fixed_addr" which is never
referenced?

Also also, Freescale's driver seems to have an optional "use IRAM"
option, did this ever prove fruitful/higher performance or did it just
destroy worlds and wasn't worth reimplementing? I noticed
plat-mxc/iram_alloc.c doesn't use gen_pool's built-in virtual to
physical conversion utility function (which got implemented recently).
Is this driver best split somewhere else than platform code too (since
an SRAM pool is a very reasonably common function I somehow don't
think it needs to be i.MX specific anyway). I can do that if need be.

Since these scripts are an infuriating blob with no docs, Sascha, did
you ever get any docs for it, if so what did you bug Freescale for to
get it (so I can bug them and get it too)..?

My main questions are now basically what SDMA code is actually in the
SDMA "ROM" (i.e. before scripts are loaded from request_firmware
binary blobs), and what the expected function of these scripts are. If
that information is contained in docs from Freescale I just need a
pointer on what to ask for..

--
Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com>
Product Development Analyst, Genesi USA, Inc.