patch "tty: serial: OMAP: ensure FIFO levels are set correctly in non-DMA" added to tty tree

Paul Walmsley paul at pwsan.com
Sat Feb 4 11:55:49 EST 2012

On Sat, 4 Feb 2012, Paul Walmsley wrote:

> The default behavior needs to be what you state: to not lose characters.
> And indeed that is what it is in v3.3: the UART will not enter idle when
> the PM runtime autosuspend timeout is -1.

One technical correction on this section -- rather, the CORE* clockdomains
will not be allowed to go idle when the PM runtime autosuspend timeout is
-1.  And that is what causes the character loss.  The rest of the E-mail
stands.

The question of whether the UART should be allowed to enter idle is a
different one, since the current driver is not properly working in this
regard, which is why we're not getting RX timeout events, etc.  We should
be able to have the proper RX timeout behavior, and therefore use normal
FIFO thresholds, by fixing some of the bugs in the existing driver.

- Paul