patch "tty: serial: OMAP: ensure FIFO levels are set correctly in non-DMA" added to tty tree

Paul Walmsley paul at pwsan.com
Fri Feb 3 19:59:47 EST 2012

On Sat, 4 Feb 2012, Woodruff, Richard wrote:

> When you have aggressive PM working at the SOC level you many times lost
> a character on UART every since OMAP2. A strange but true statement is
> it is nice to see it losing a character on mainline as it as in
> indication that PM is likely working.

We've been losing wakeup characters in mainline for many years now ;-)

> One irritation was some internal interrupt sources were not linked to
> low power wakeup events. If you were in interrupt mode and got
> characters below watermark you could sleep before interrupt status
> showed up (as you had to wait several frame times before functional
> interrupt asserted) but there was no wake at anticipated frame timeout
> because lack of linking of internal event to wake event.

Indeed, it seems that we are just now working around these wakeup-related
bugs.  Kind of surprising that no errata showed up for them.

What's particularly remarkable is that it looks like the UARTs will
idle-ack while their transmit FIFOs have data in them (!)

- Paul