patch "tty: serial: OMAP: ensure FIFO levels are set correctly in non-DMA" added to tty tree

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Fri Feb 3 15:44:27 EST 2012

On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 12:42:22 -0700 (MST) Paul Walmsley <paul at pwsan.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Feb 2012, Grazvydas Ignotas wrote:

> > > Maybe it is 37xx specific.  I think this is a DM3730.
> >
> > Not sure if it's the same problem but with 3530 on 3.2 with
> > sleep_timeout set, I usually get first char dropped (as expected) but
> > sometimes I get corrupted char instead too. Corrupt char seems to
> > almost always happen if I set cpufreq to powersave, on performace it's
> > almost always ok, so maybe it's some timing problem,
>
> OK so let's distinguish between two corruption situations:
>
> 1. The first character transmitted to the OMAP UART in a serial console
> when the UART powerdomain is in a non-functional, low power state (e.g.,
> RET or below) is corrupted.  This is not actually output corruption, this
> is input corruption.
>
> 2. Characters are corrupted while the OMAP UART is transmitting data, but
> there has been no recent data sent to the OMAP.
>
> Case 1 is expected and is almost certainly not a bug.  As Neil mentioned
> it should be bps-rate dependent.  It occurs when the first character
> transmitted to the OMAP wakes the chip up via I/O ring/chain wakeup.
> I/O ring/chain wakeup is driven by a 32KiHz clock and is therefore
> relatively high-latency.  So this could easily cause the first character
> or first few characters to be lost or corrupted, depending on the exact
> sequence of events, the low power state that the chip was in, etc.

A 32KiHz cycles every 30mSec.
At 115200 bps, there is one bit every 8.7 microseconds.

When I type "return" - which looks like 0101100001111... on the wire,
I see '0xC3' which looks like 011000011111... on the wire.
So we lost exactly 2 bits, or a delay around 17 microseconds.

I find it hard to reconcile that delay with the cause being a 32KiHZ clock.

If the first char I type is a space (0x20 or 0000001001111111) then
the character received is 0x90 (0000010011111) which is exactly 1 bit missing,
so an 8 or 9 usec delay.
If the first char I type is 'o' (0x6f, or 0111101101111111) then the character
received is 0xfb (01101111111111) which misses 5 bits.
I think it misses the first bit, then waits for a start bit (0), then takes
the next 8 bits.

At 230400 bps, I always lose at least 2 bits.
At 460800 bps, I seem lose at least 3 bits.
(above there, nothing works at all ... could be my USB/serial cable at fault).

So it looks a lot like a delay which is a small number of microseconds.
Could be the wake-up latency in the I/O ring/chain, but doesn't look like the
32 KiHz clock :-)

> Case 2 is not expected.  That is likely a bug somewhere.  Neil, this is
> what I understood that you are experiencing.  Is that correct?

Correct.

Thanks,
NeilBrown