[RFC] ARM hugetlb support

bill4carson bill4carson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 20:41:18 EST 2012

On 2012年02月02日 22:38, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> On 1 February 2012 01:56, bill4carson<bill4carson at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 2012年01月31日 17:29, Catalin Marinas wrote:
>>> It also doesn't
>>> help much with the TLB hit rate since the micro-TLB most likely only
>>> support 1MB sections.
>> I am afraid I can't agree with you on this.
>> Truly there is no specific statement about whether micro-TLB support 16MB
>> super-sections,
>> but main-TLB actually helps the hit rate, and main-TLB support all page size
>> mapping.
> The feedback over time was that 16MB didn't help much in terms of TLB
> misses compared to 1MB but that was for standard usage. I guess the
> hugetlbfs has specific scenarios that may benefit.
>
> Anyway, could you make the 2MB/16MB huge page size configurable at
> boot time (command line option like on other architectures)?
Actually, only X86 supports multiple page size configuration at boot
time, other architectures
will has fixed huge page size once build.

I'm not sure it's a MUST to support multiple page size at boot time,
but I'm sure this will make
marco "pte_pfn" much more complicated.

> And also
> check the ID_MMFR0[31:28] for whether supersections are supported.

Thanks for your tips :)

--
I am a slow learner
but I will keep trying to fight for my dreams!

--bill