Can one set GPIO direction in pinmux definition?

Subodh Nijsure snijsure at grid-net.com
Wed Aug 22 18:10:00 EDT 2012

On 08/22/2012 12:52 PM, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 08/22/2012 09:37 AM, Subodh Nijsure wrote:
>> For a MX28 based hardware I am working with I need to use AUART4
>>
>> I need to configure this AUART4 as uart only when necessary and at all
>> other times pins associated with AUART4 need to be configured as inputs.
> Out of curiosity, why?
Out hardware is connected to external equipment, electric meter via this
UART.
This electricity meter can also be read externally by an optical reader.
Since this is a shared bus, we can't be sitting on that bus with our
interface configured as UART as it prevents optical reader from talking
to the meter. There are ways we can tell is optical meter is connected,
if we detect that its connected we configure these pins as input else
configure them for UART functionality.

> BTW, you didn't CC any of the IMX maintainers, so it's likely they won't
> see your question. I've CC'd LinusW, Shawn, and Dong.
thanks.
>> I am using following DT definitions to setup AUART4 mux  but can't
>> figure out how to setup pin direction via DT, can it be done or I need
>> to do it in C code?
>>
>>          apb at 80000000 {
>>                  apbh at 80000000 {
>>                                  auart4_pins_a: auart4 at 0 {
>>                                          reg = <0>;
>>                                          fsl,pinmux-ids = <
>>                                                  0x3142 /*
>> MX28_PAD_SAIF0_MCLK__AUART4_CTS */
>>                                                  0x3152 /*
>> MX28_PAD_SAIF0_LRCLK__AUART4_RTS */
>>                                                  0x3162 /*
>> MX28_PAD_SAIF0_BITCLK__AUART4_RX */
>>                                                  0x3172 /*
>> MX28_PAD_SAIF0_SDATA0__AUART4_TX */
>>                                          >;
>>                                          fsl,drive-strength = <0>;
>>                                          fsl,voltage = <1>;
>>                                          fsl,pull-up = <0>;
>>                                  };
>>                                  auart4_highz_pins: auart4-gpio at 0 {
>>                                          reg = <0>;
>>                                          fsl,pinmux-ids = <
>>                                                  0x3143 /*
>> MX28_PAD_SAIF0_MCLK__GPIO_3_20 */
>>                                                  0x3153 /*
>> MX28_PAD_SAIF0_LRCLK__GPIO_3_21 */
>>                                                  0x3163 /*
>> MX28_PAD_SAIF0_BITCLK__GPIO_3_22 */
>>                                                  0x3173 /*
>> MX28_PAD_SAIF0_SDATA0__GPIO_3_23 */
>>                                          >;
>>                                          fsl,drive-strength = <0>;
>>                                          fsl,voltage = <1>;
>>                                          fsl,pull-up = <0>;
>>                                  };
>>                   };
>>            };
> I don't know IMX HW, but where is highz controlled? On other SoCs I'm
> familiar with, when a pad is configured as a GPIO, the highz state is
> controlled by the GPIO module, so there's nothing pinmux can do about
> it. Even if the pinmux HW does control highz, gpio_direction_*() are
> still meant to communicate with the pinctrl driver to implement this, so
> overriding it through the pinctrl configuration seems like a bad thing.
>
> So I think your UART driver would have to request the GPIOs, and set
> them as inputs. So, I guess your UART node below would need a property
> listing the GPIOs to do this to.
Right now that is what I am doing in my code, requesting GPIOs in UART
drivers and setting up the direction. I just wanted to make sure there
wasn't way to setup pin direction using pinmux itself.

>>                  apbx at 80040000 {
>>                          auart4: serial at 80072000 {
>>                                  pinctrl-names = "default", "auart";
>>                                  pinctrl-0 = <&auart4_highz_pins>;