[GIT PULL] Update LZO compression

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.ru
Thu Aug 16 13:25:49 EDT 2012

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 17:06:47 +0200
Johannes Stezenbach <js at sig21.net> wrote:

> Well, ~2x speedup on x86 is certainly a good achievement, but there
> are more ARM based devices than there are PCs, and I guess many
> embedded devices use lzo compressed kernels and file systems
> while I'm not convinced many PCs rely on lzo in the kernel.

Keep in mind that a major user of LZO is the BTRFS filesystem, and I believe it
is used much more often on larger machines than on ARM, in fact it had problems
operating on ARM at all, until quite recently.

> I know everyone's either busy or on vacation, but it would
> be so cool if someone could test on a more modern ARM core,
> with the userspace test code I posted it should be easy to do.

I have locked the Allwinner A10 CPU in my Mele A2000 to 60 MHz using cpufreq-set,
and ran your test. rnd.lzo is a 9 MB file from /dev/urandom compressed with lzo.
There doesn't seem to be a significant difference between all three variants.

# time for i in {1..20}; do old/unlzop < rnd.lzo >/dev/null ; done

real	0m11.353s
user	0m3.060s
sys	0m8.170s
# time for i in {1..20}; do new/unlzop < rnd.lzo >/dev/null ; done

real	0m11.416s
user	0m3.030s
sys	0m8.200s
# time for i in {1..20}; do test/unlzop < rnd.lzo >/dev/null ; done

real	0m11.310s
user	0m3.100s
sys	0m8.150s

--