Pull request: removal of most instances of mach/memory.h

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Mon Sep 26 18:38:10 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 04:00:11PM -0400, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2011, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 10:33:28AM -0400, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> > >       ARM: mach-ep93xx: remove mach/memory.h and Kconfig selection of SDRAM bank
> >
> > Are you planning to totally kill off ZBOOT_ROM too?  Because removing
> > the zreladdr stuff is doing exactly that.
>
> It looks like ZBOOT_ROM is not used on that platform at all.  However,
> the ability to have a single defconfig and binary for the whole platform
> is something that the mach-ep93xx maintainers are looking for.  Having
> ZBOOT_ROM depend on and use CONFIG_PHYS_OFFSET would probably makes
> sense eventually.

You miss the point.  Removing zreladdr actively _prevents_ anyone from
then choosing to build a kernel with ZBOOT_ROM enabled targetted for one
platform if that's what they want, because the decompressor then loses
the information it needs to properly locate the kernel.

> > This also gives additional merge conflicts elsewhere, and while git
> > rerere makes some of them easy, the quantity is going to be a right
> > pain to deal with on a repeated basis.
>
> Again, I'm perfectly willing to use a different base for this series and
> fix the conflicts myself if you give me one.

That's difficult when there are a number of unstable branches involved.