I-cache/D-cache inconsistency issue with page cache

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Sun Sep 25 06:34:45 EDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 10:51:30AM +0100, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> I had a discussion on Friday with the Firefox guys here in ARM. We
> need to do some investigation next week but some random unverified
> thoughts (that's on A9) - the scenario seems to be that a library
> decompresses some data to a file using mmap(write) (which happens to
> be code but it doesn't need to know that) while some other application
> part tries, at a later time, to execute code in the same file using
> mmap(exec).
>
> By default, a new page cache page is dirty. At a first look,
> mmap(write) and further access would not trigger a cache operation in
> __sync_icache_dcache() and the page is still marked as dirty. Later
> on, when the page is munmap'ed and mmap'ed(exec),
> __sync_icache_dcache() (during fault processing) would flush the
> D-cache and invalidate the I-cache, while marking the page 'clean'.
>
> I wonder whether during the first mmap(write) and uncompressing, the
> 'clean' state could be set (maybe some flush_dcache_page) call. This
> state would be preserved in the page cache page status and a
> subsequent __sync_icache_dcache(), even from a different file, would
> just notice that the page is 'clean'.
>
> As I said, just some thoughts, I haven't tested this theory yet.

Not quite.  Whenever we establish any page in the system which is
executable, we always flush the D cache and entire I cache.

As I've already pointed out though, the report is against old kernels
which doesn't have this code, so there's no point us speculating about
it until the issue has been confirmed against a kernel which we expect
_not_ to have the issue in the first place (rather than one which we
_do_ expect it to go wrong.)