DT vs ARM static mappings

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Tue Sep 20 15:28:55 EDT 2011

On Tuesday 20 September 2011, Pawel Moll wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 15:37 +0100, Rob Herring wrote
> > > My point is that we should be able to handle _all_ of them using one
> > > DT_MACHINE_START with a single compat value "arm,vexpress". The only
> > > problem with this (so far) is the mapping.
> >
> > Yes, you should have 1 DT_MACHINE_START, but arm,vexpress is too
> > generic. You can and should have a list of compatible strings for each
> > board/machine.
>
> Our DTS has:
>
> compatible = "arm,vexpress-v2p-ca9", "arm,vexpress";
>
> and v2m.c:
>
> static const char *v2m_dt_match[] __initconst = {
>        "arm,vexpress",
>        NULL,
> };
>
> DT_MACHINE_START(VEXPRESS_DT, "ARM Versatile Express")
>        .map_io         = v2m_map_io,
>        .init_early     = v2m_init_early,
>        .init_irq       = v2m_init_irq,
>        .timer          = &v2m_timer,
>        .init_machine   = v2m_dt_init,
>        .dt_compat      = v2m_dt_match,
> MACHINE_END
>
> Isn't it what you meant?
>
> Essentially I see two ways of doing what we are discussing:
>
> 1. Two DT_MACHINE_START, one matching "arm,vexpress-legacy" with map_io
> = v2m_map_io_legacy and second matching "arm,vexpress-rs1" with map_io =
> v2m_map_io_rs1,
>
> 2. Single DT_MACHINE_START matching (the most generic) "arm,vexpress"
> and doing (rougly) this in v2m_map_io:
>
> of_scan_flat_dt(v2m_dt_iotable_init, NULL);
>
> v2m_dt_iotable_init(...)
> {
> 	if (depth != 0)
> 		return 0;
> 	if (of_flat_dt_is_compatible(node, "arm,vexpress-legacy"))
> 		iotable_init(v2m_io_desc_legacy);
> 	else (of_flat_dt_is_compatible(node, "arm,vexpress-rs1"))
> 		iotable_init(v2m_io_desc_rs1);
> 	else
> 		panic();
> }
>
> Neither of them seem particularly appealing... ;-)

But I think both ways would be acceptable in the end. It's not a lot
of extra code either way. In the second case, I would probably have
the legacy case as a special variant of the map_io function and have
all others be the default instead of falling back to panic though.

> > > Again, no argument from me here :-)
> > >
> > > The question is - where should it be?
> >
> > Nowhere. It's an OS specific issue, not a h/w issue.
>
> That's exactly why I didn't like this idea in the first place. This
> doesn't change the fact that current infrastructure isn't really helpful
> here.

Agreed, I think that approach would be much worse.

> > > You can't do ioremap() before kmalloc() is up and running (correct me if
> > > I am wrong), at least you can't do this in map_io. So the static mapping
> > > is a must sometimes. And actually, with the latest Nico's changes:
> > >
> > Correct. You can't do ioremap until init_irq. map_io and init_early are
> > too early. My point was if you can delay h/w access then you can remove
> > the static mappings. But yes, we generally can't remove them all. SCU
> > and LL debug uart are 2 examples.
>
> In my case it's sysreg and sysctl. There are two more users of static
> mappings: timer01 and timer23, but they could at some point do ioremap()
> on their own (especially with Nico's changes).

Well, I think with Nico's cahnges, you /can/ actually do ioremap for
areas that have been mapped through the iotable before kmalloc is up.
IIRC, omap does this for a number of peripherals.

It's a bit of a hack, but I think it's much better than taking hardcoded
addresses.

> > For the short term, I would just have 2 static iotables and select the
> > right one based on the board's (or motherboard's) compatible string.
>
> Yes, as mentioned above. This doesn't help with the sysreg offset
> problem though. I may just scan the flat tree looking for their
> particular names and getting raw offset from their regs... Sounds like a
> hack, though.

With the combination of the points mentioned above, you should be
able to do:

- map the entire I/O area in map_io(), depending on the board
- have an __iomem pointer for the sysreg
- populate that pointer using of_iomap from the device tree address
  before you first access it.

Do you think that would work?

	Arnd