IRQF_TRIGGER_LOW and ARM GIC

Stephen Warren swarren at nvidia.com
Fri Sep 2 15:28:29 EDT 2011

Russell, Colin,

The Tegra Harmony board contains a TPS6586x chip, which has an active-low
interrupt output. This is then fed to Tegra's PMC's PWR_INT pin, which can
be programmed to accept active-low or active-high interrupt signals. This
then feeds into a GIC interrupt.

The problem is that the PMC appears to default to expecting the attached
signal to be active-high not active-low.

At a driver level, it seems that IRQF_TRIGGER_LEVEL_LOW should be passed
to request_threaded_irq() to solve this. However, gic.c:gic_set_type()
prohibits IRQ_TYPE_* except LEVEL_HIGH and EDGE_RISING.

I'm not quite sure how to solve this; should gic_set_type() be modified
to remove the restriction if gic_arch_extn.irq_set_type is present, and
assume that gic_arch_extn.irq_set_type will handle converting the input
signal from LEVEL_LOW to LEVEL_HIGH or EDGE_FALLING to EDGE_RISING?

In at least some non-mainline kernels, this has been solved by having
individual board files poke PMC registers to invert the signal to the
gic's expected LEVEL_HIGH. However, I assume that's not a good solution
for mainline.

Thanks.

--
nvpublic