try_to_freeze() called with IRQs disabled on ARM

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Thu Sep 1 10:00:00 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 03:41:22PM +0200, Ulrich Weigand wrote:
> The problem now occurs if at point [0.] the target process just
> happened to be blocked in a restartable system call.  For this
> sequence to then work as expected, two things have to happen:
>
> - at point [3.], the kernel must *not* attempt to restart a
>   system call, even though it thinks we're stopped in a
>   restartable system call
>
> - at point [5.], the kernel now *must* restart the originally
>   interrupted system call, even though it thinks we're stopped
>   at some breakpoint, and not within a system call
>
> My patch achieved both these goals, while it would seem your
> patch only solves the first issue, not the second one.  In
> fact, since any interaction with ptrace will always cause the
> TIF_SYS_RESTART flag to be *reset*, and there is no way at all
> to *set* it, there doesn't appear to be any way for GDB to
> achive that second goal.
> One way to fix this might be to make the TIF_SYS_RESTART flag
> itself visible to ptrace, so the GDB could save/restore it
> along with the rest of the register set; this would be similar
> to how that problem is handled on other platforms.  However,
> there doesn't appear to be an obvious place for the flag in
> the ptrace register set ...

Thanks for looking at this.

I don't think we can augment the ptrace register set - that would be a
major API change which would immediately break lots of userspace,
causing user stack overflows and such like.

I can't see a way out of this - and given the seriousness of the kernel
side issue (causing kernel warnings), and that your change altered the
strace behaviour (an unintended user-visible change) I think we're going
to have to live with the gdb testcase failing until we can come up with
a better fix for it.

I also wonder what the validity of this behaviour is - there are cases
where you can't do what gdb's trying to do - eg, with a syscall using
a restart block (-ERESTART_RESTARTBLOCK) because the restart information
could be wiped out by a new syscall performed by the function gdb wants
to run.  Or when the program receives a signal for it to handle while
running that function.