[RFC] virtio: use mandatory barriers for remote processor vdevs

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at redhat.com
Wed Nov 30 11:15:56 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 06:04:56PM +0200, Ohad Ben-Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin <mst at redhat.com> wrote:
> > I see. And this happens because the ARM processor reorders
> > memory writes
>
> Yes.
>
> > And in an SMP configuration, writes are somehow not reordered?
>
> They are, but then the smp memory barriers are enough to control these
> effects. It's not enough to control reordering as seen by a device
> (which is what our AMP processors are) though.
>
> (btw, the difference between an SMP processor and a device here lies
> in how the memory is mapped: normal memory vs. device memory
> attributes. it's an ARM thingy).

How are the rings mapped? normal memory, right?
We allocate them with plan alloc_pages_exact in virtio_pci.c ...

> > Just checking that this is not a bug in the smp_wmb implementation
> > for the specific platform.
>
> No, it's not.
>
> ARM's smp memory barriers use ARM's DMB instruction, which is enough
> to control SMP effects, whereas ARM's mandatory memory barriers use
> ARM's DSB instruction, which is required to ensure the ordering
> between Device and Normal memory accesses.
>
> Thanks,
> Ohad.

Yes wmb() is required to ensure ordering for MMIO.
But here both accesses: index and ring - are for
memory, not MMIO.

I could understand ring kick bypassing index write, maybe ...
But you described an index write bypassing descriptor write.
Is this something you see in practice?

--
MST