Want to Get Suggestion for MX28 USB Submisson

Chen Peter-B29397 B29397 at freescale.com
Sun Nov 27 22:06:48 EST 2011

Hi lists:

Tony Lin has submitted Freescale mx28 USB Patch at August
(See: http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg50201.html), but it hasn't been accepted.
I would like to re-submit mx28 usb patches, before that, I would like get some suggestion
from you. I think your suggestion will also be benefit for coming mx53, mx50 and mx6q's submission.

All Recently Freescale SoC's USB controller are the same, they are mx23, mx25, mx28, mx31, mx35,
mx37, mx50, mx51, mx53, and mx6.
But, the transceiver is different between them
mx23, mx28, mx6 (Transceiver A)
mx25 mx31, mx35,mx37, mx50, mx51, mx53 (Transceiver B)

Current upstream platform information:
mx23 mx28 ==> mxs platfrom
others (including mx6) ==> mxc platform

Current upstream USB information:
mx25, mx3x, mx51: ehci-mxc.c (host), fsl_mxc_udc.c(device, main functions are at fsl_udc_core.c)

My plan of submitting mx28 (mx53,mx50, mx6 later if possible):
1. Replace cpu_is_mxxx() with struct platform_device_id for ehci-mxc.c and fsl_mxc_udc.c
2. Using ehci-mxc.c and fsl_mxc_udc.c for mx28 upstreaming.
For Step 2, I have concern that whether mxs platform users will be confused of their
usb driver named xxx_mxc, not xxx_mxs?
If mxs maintainers think it will cause confusion, I would like to change names to ehci-imx.c
and fsl_imx_udc.c for all recent Freescale SoC's (from mx23 to mx6), is it suitable?
3. Create transceiver driver for mx28, and it will also be used for mx6.

Best regards,
Peter Chen

MAD Linux BSP Team
Freescale Semiconductor Ltd.