-next fails to boot as of today on S3C6410

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Thu Nov 24 11:08:53 EST 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 12:56:16PM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 07:32:58PM -0500, Nicolas Pitre wrote:

> > That should provide you with the ability to figure out what's wrong.

> Found one problem which I just sent a patch for, iotable_init() was not
> coping with being passed an empty table which it had previously been OK
> with.  However, the boot still dies shortly afterwards when we try to
> read the CPU ID in s3c64xx_init_cpu() and presumably take an exception
> due to the system address either not being mapped or mapped somewhere
> other than where the code expects.

I went back and had another look at this - the reason we're dying in
s3c64xx_init_cpu() is that it attempts to use the virtual address to
read the ID register but due to the debug patch Nicholas provided to
keep the serial port alive when I have DEBUG_LL turned on the mappings
set up by the CPU initialization were not actually being used by the
kernel yet.  The upshot is that the boot problems in current -next are
fixed by the combination of the irq_domain patch and the patch I posted
earlier today and DEBUG_LL will need something a bit different to keep
it running while doing the remapping.

Thanks to everyone who helped debug this.