Changing IOMMU-API for generic DMA-mapping supported by the hardware

'Joerg Roedel' Joerg.Roedel at amd.com
Thu Nov 24 10:27:47 EST 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 01:52:33PM +0100, Marek Szyprowski wrote:
> In my DMA-mapping IOMMU integration I've used a dma_iommu_mapping structure,
> which contains a pointer to iommu domain, a bitmap and a lock. Maybe we
> should consider extending iommu domain with allocation bitmap (or other
> structure that hold information about used/unused iova ranges)? From the
> DMA-mapping (as a IOMMU client) perspective we only need 2 more callbacks
> in IOMMU API: alloc_iova_range() and free_iova_range().
>
> Each IOMMU implementation can provide these calls based on internal bitmap
> allocator which will also cover the issue with reserved ranges. What do you
> think about such solution?

Hmm, the main point of a generic DMA-mapping implementation is that a
common address-allocator will be used. Today every IOMMU driver that
implements the DMA-API has its own allocator, this is something to unify
between for all drivers.

The allocator information can be stored in the default iommu_domain. We
need a user-private pointer there, but that is easy to add.

	Joerg

--
AMD Operating System Research Center

Advanced Micro Devices GmbH Einsteinring 24 85609 Dornach
General Managers: Alberto Bozzo, Andrew Bowd
Registration: Dornach, Landkr. Muenchen; Registerger. Muenchen, HRB Nr. 43632