2b034922 breaks kexec on ARM

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Mon Nov 7 14:20:43 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 07:14:53PM +0000, Will Deacon wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 07:03:15PM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > Hmm, having looked at kernel/kexec.c, this patch is clearly wrong.
> > There are two kernels which can be loaded into kexec - a crash kernel
> > and a default kernel.  These are kept entirely separately (and the
> > per-kernel context is stored in 'image').
> >
> > However, this patch makes machine_kexec_prepare() store into some
> > _global_ variables, which means if you've loaded a crash kernel
> > followed by a default kernel, the values for the crash kernel will
> > be corrupted.
> >
> > So yes, I think a revert of this patch is the right thing.
>
> Great. Would you like me to submit the revert to the patch system or are you
> happy just to do it using git?

I've reverted it myself (see the tip of the fixes branch).  It's slightly
annoying that the branch was only pulled last night.

> > I think the only valid thing its doing is moving the copy of the
> > reboot code earlier, but I don't see the value of moving just that.
>
> Neither can I. It seems to be happy enough with the patch reverted, so if it
> ain't broke...

I guess this is where the problems of poor commit descriptions crop up.
We don't know _why_ the original author of the patch wanted to make the
change - we don't know if they were seeing a problem.