[RFC 0/5] restart cleanups

Robert Jarzmik robert.jarzmik at free.fr
Wed Nov 2 03:46:06 EDT 2011

----- Mail Original -----
De: "Russell King - ARM Linux" <linux at arm.linux.org.uk>
> We do have this problem - mioa701 - which insists on doing things like
> kfree, free_irq, gpio_free in this path, which is a bad idea as it can
True. You mean gsm_exit() and bootstrap_exit() I think.
These were added to free resources in a shutdown. If freeing is pointless,
in a reboot case, and stale resources don't matter, well, we can kill these
2 functions.

> However, we don't know whether removing the code will then prevent it
> rebooting even for a userspace-invoked reboot.  We need feedback from
> the platform maintainer for that (added Philipp and Robert in the
> hope one of them can answer this - and maybe send a patch to fix it.)
I'll try to test the patch serie this evening after my daywork,
and give feedback.

The main facts of mioa701 board regarding halting/rebooting:
 - watchdog reset kills RTC time
 - there is no GPIO reset (which would preserve time, sic ...)
 - mioa701 is based on PXA272 (arm v5)

Cheers.

--
Robert