[RFC 1/2] ARM: Tegra: Device Tree Support: Update how sdhci devices are initialized

Stephen Warren swarren at nvidia.com
Tue May 10 18:16:17 EDT 2011

Olof Johansson wrote at Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:07 PM:
> > On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Stephen Warren <swarren at nvidia.com> wrote:
> > John Bonesio wrote at Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:14 PM:
> > > This patch changes how sdhci devices are initialized so that a later
> > > patch can easily add support for i2c devies.
> > >
> > > +static struct tegra_sdhci_platform_data sdhci_pdata1 = {
> > > +     .cd_gpio        = -1,
> > > +     .wp_gpio        = -1,
> > > +     .power_gpio     = -1,
> > > +};
> > > +
> > So I understand why board-dt is itself registering the SDHCI platform
> > devices itself; so that the pdev initialization path is identical
> > between fully hard-coded boards and board-dt.c.
> >
> > However, I'm surprised that we would include the platform data for
> > those devices within that argument; if we do that, we'll end up needing
> > different platform data for every board, and devicetree won't have
> > bought us anything.
> >
> > In other words, I understood that board-dt would register all the
> > platform devices within Tegra, but not set up any of the plataform
> > data, and the device drivers for those devices would be updated to
> > get their platform data from devicetree if available, then fall back
> > to old-style platform data. In other words, the way the SDHCI drivers
> > work today in the devicetree/test branch.
> >
> > If my understanding is correct, shouldn't the chunk above and the
> > one below be removed?
>
> That's if we cut everything over, I think. until then, this code should
> fill in the platform_device and register it. But the values should come
> from the device tree, and it should only register the controllers that are
> in the tree (and not marked as disabled).

But doesn't that require board-dt.c to walk and parse the devicetree,
extract the platform data from the DT, and fill in the platform data
structures? I thought we'd explicitly talked about that and decided that
was a bad idea, since it'd duplicate each driver's DT parsing into
board-dt.c?

--
nvpublic