[Linaro-mm-sig] [RFC] ARM DMA mapping TODO, v1

David Brown davidb at codeaurora.org
Mon May 2 00:42:07 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 29 2011, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 08:29:50PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

>> I'd like to first have an official confirmation from the CPU designers
>> if there is actually a problem with mapping a single page both cacheable
>> and noncacheable.
>
> Everytime this gets discussed, someone says that because they don't
> believe what I say.  OMAP folk confirmed it last time around.

I'll confirm this from the Qualcomm side as well.  You cannot have
multiple inconsistent mappings of the same page without having difficult
to find problems.

The spec clarifications appear to give ways of dealing with it if it
happens, and bounds on what can go wrong, but I wouldn't call it
something we want to do normally.  Corrupt data is arguably less of a
problem than nasal demons, but still a problem.

David