Problem with GDB when debugging IRQ handlers

Catalin Marinas catalin.marinas at arm.com
Tue Jun 28 09:24:07 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 01:09:28PM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 08:06:27PM +0800, Hui Zhu wrote:
> > If this kernel didn't open FRAME_POINTER, what will happen?
>
> I can't answer that question directly, as I don't use a toolchain new
> enough to generate proper unwind information.
>
> However, I haven't seen any problems being reported on the list with
> bad/broken backtraces from the kernel, so my _assumption_ is that the
> kernel is fine with its own debug info.

I tested this when contributing the unwinding support and it was ok. The
reason is that the svc_entry macro in entry-armv.S adds some annotations
line .fnstart and .save that generate the correct unwinding bytecodes
(but as I said, that's different from the dwarf information which
probably needs different annotations).

--
Catalin