irq flood with mmc boot partitions on s3c2416 with 3.0rc1

Heiko Stübner heiko at sntech.de
Thu Jun 16 16:14:10 EDT 2011

Am Dienstag 14 Juni 2011, 22:32:41 schrieb Andrei Warkentin:
> Hi Heiko,
>
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Heiko Stübner <heiko at sntech.de> wrote:
> > nope, no updates yet. The flood also only starts when udev wants to
> > create its device nodes, meaning the initial detection seems not to
> > produce this problem
> >
> > But when I disable the whole boot partition stuff, it works as before
> > without irq storms.
> >
> > As there don't seem to exist reports from other emmc users about this
> > I guess the problem lays somewhere between the boot-partitions-patch
> > and the sdhci-s3c driver (for s3c2416 at least).
>
> Alright. Curious. Can you let me know what eMMC device you are
> connecting to the controller? What is the eMMC revision?
hmm ... how do I find these?
The real device providing the storage is a 2GB NAND Flash from Hynix.

And sadly both of your patches didn't change anything.

I made two interessting observations:
during boot the initial detection works ok - I can even mount the normal
partitions without hickup when I stop it before the udev stage.

The irq storm seems to be caused by something udev does during its population
of the /dev filesystem.

And second the mentioned irq storm never stops during the runtime of the
device. When I let it boot through it spews what must be millions of the irq
messages and does so until I shut it down.

Heiko