[RFC 0/2] ARM: DMA-mapping & IOMMU integration

KyongHo Cho pullip.cho at samsung.com
Mon Jun 13 10:12:05 EDT 2011

I don't think dma_alloc_writecombine() is useful
because it is actually not different from dma_alloc_coherent().
Moreover, no architecture implements it except ARM and AVR32
and 'struct dma_map_ops' in <linux/dma-mapping.h> does not cover it.

The only difference of dma_alloc_writecombine() from dma_alloc_coherent() is
whether a caller needs to decide to use memory barrier after call
dma_alloc_writecombine().

Of course, the mapping created by by dma_alloc_writecombine()
may be more efficient for CPU to update the DMA buffer.
But I think mapping with dma_alloc_coherent() is not such a
performance bottleneck.

I think it is better to remove dma_alloc_writecombine() and replace
all of it with dma_alloc_coherent().

In addition, IMHO, mapping to user's address is not a duty of dma_map_ops.
dma_mmap_*() is not suitable for a system that has IOMMU
because a DMA address does not equal to its correspondent physical
address semantically.

I think DMA APIs of ARM must be changed drastically to support IOMMU
because IOMMU API does not manage virtual address space.

I've also concerned about IOMMU implementation in ARM architecture for
several months.
But i found that there are some obstacles to overcome.

Best regards.