No subject

Wed Jun 1 12:03:18 EDT 2011

a) a case where the hibernation patch as I posted it is ok for core state:

arch/arm/mach-exynos4/sleep.S has:

ENTRY(s3c_cpu_save)

         stmfd   sp!, { r3 - r12, lr }
         ldr     r3, =resume_with_mmu
         bl      cpu_suspend

         ldr     r0, =pm_cpu_sleep
         ldr     r0, [ r0 ]
         mov     pc, r0

resume_with_mmu:
         ldmfd   sp!, { r3 - r12, pc }

ENTRY(s3c_cpu_resume)
         b       cpu_resume

I.e. it does nothing before but set up the arguments for cpu_suspend, and
does nothing afterwards but redirect to a function that enters low power
(and switches the CPU off).
Likewise, all it does for resume is redirect to cpu_resume which will
ultimately end up jumping to resume_with_mmu: as requested.

b) a case where the hibernation patch is insufficient even though the
    code in the soc suspend func uses cpu_suspend:

arch/arm/mach-pxa/sleep.S has:

/*
  * pxa27x_cpu_suspend()
  *
  * Forces CPU into sleep state.
  *
  * r0 = value for PWRMODE M field for desired sleep state
  * r1 = v:p offset
  */
ENTRY(pxa27x_cpu_suspend)

#ifndef CONFIG_IWMMXT
         mra     r2, r3, acc0
#endif
         stmfd   sp!, {r2 - r12, lr}             @ save registers on stack
         mov     r4, r0                          @ save sleep mode
         ldr     r3, =pxa_cpu_resume             @ resume function
         bl      cpu_suspend
[ ... some stuff ... ]
         ldr     r6, =CCCR
         ldr     r8, [r6]                @ keep original value for resume

         ldr     r7, =CCCR_SLEEP         @ prepare CCCR sleep value
         mov     r0, #0x2                @ prepare value for CLKCFG

         @ align execution to a cache line
         b       pxa_cpu_do_suspend
#endif
[ ... ]
pxa_cpu_do_suspend:

         @ All needed values are now in registers.
         @ These last instructions should be in cache

         @ initiate the frequency change...
         str     r7, [r6]
         mcr     p14, 0, r0, c6, c0, 0

         @ restore the original cpu speed value for resume
         str     r8, [r6]
[ ... ]
/*
  * pxa_cpu_resume()
  *
  * entry point from bootloader into kernel during resume
  */
         .align 5
pxa_cpu_resume:
         ldmfd   sp!, {r2, r3}
#ifndef CONFIG_IWMMXT
         mar     acc0, r2, r3
#endif
         ldmfd   sp!, {r4 - r12, pc}             @ return to caller

In this case, there's _MORE_ state saved (the CCCR / CCCR_SLEEP accesses)
after the call to cpu_suspend things that aren't dealt with by the way the
hibernation support patch currently operates.

There also is _more_ restored at resume than what the generic part does
for you.

Whether these things (for example) are relevant wrt. to a hibernation
resume is something I simply do not know.

A third example of a soc suspend func, even more complex, with more
constraints, would be as already mentioned, OMAP. On that as well the
caveat applies, "what works empirically might not be correct in all
cases".

This hopefully illustrates what someone who tries to make suspend-to-disk
work for a particular ARM SoC has to look out for, and why the patch
shouldn't be blindly adopted ?!

Again, it's only a starting point. An improved one compared to having
ARCH-#ifdefs and huge code bloat all over swsusp.S, but not sufficient for
the general case quite yet.

FrankH.