[RFC 0/6] iommu: generic api migration and grouping

Ohad Ben-Cohen ohad at wizery.com
Sun Jun 5 15:39:37 EDT 2011

Hi Arnd,

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> wrote:
> I think the future of iovmm is looking not so good. Marek Szyprowski
> is working on a generic version of the dma-mapping API (dma_map_ops)
> based on the iommu API.

Nice! I missed Marek's work somehow.

> As far as I can tell, once we have that in
> place, we you can migrate omap3isp from iovmm to dma-mapping and
> remove iovmm.

Sounds like a plan.

I'd still prefer us to take small steps here, and not gate the omap
iommu cleanups with Marek's generic dma_map_ops work though. Let's go
forward and migrate omap's iommu to the generic iommu API, so new code
will be able to use it (e.g. the long coming virtio-based IPC/AMP
framework).

We'll migrate iovmm/omap3isp just enough so they don't break, but once
the generic dma_map_ops work materializes, we'd be able to complete
the migration, remove iovmm, and decouple omap3isp from omap-specific
iommu APIs for good.

>>   I've only moved the omap and msm implementations for now, to demonstrate
>>   the idea (and support the ARM diet :), but if this is found desirable,
>>   we can bring in intel-iommu.c and amd_iommu.c as well.
>
> Yes, very good idea.

Great!
(to move intel-iommu.c, we'll have to move the declaration of
pci_find_upstream_pcie_bridge() from drivers/pci/pci.h to
include/linux/pci.h, but that's probably not too bad).

Thanks,
Ohad.