IrDA driver fails on PXA255

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Wed Jun 1 11:50:16 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 08:54:20AM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 03:11:40PM -0700, David Rientjes wrote:
> > The restriction isn't new: GFP_DMA only makes sense with CONFIG_ZONE_DMA.
> > The fact that the page allocator completely ignored GFP_DMA in the past
> > for CONFIG_ZONE_DMA=n doesn't change that.  That's obviously error prone
> > since it will return memory from anywhere simply because of the fact that
> > it is an invalid configuration.
>
> Your approach to this is wrong.  Make it warn for one release.  Give
> people a chance to fix things before they become a regression.  Then
> make it a hard failure.

And to prove that its not just this driver, I've now received a report
that it fails with the CF PATA driver on Zaurus.  Should we make the
PATA subsystem select CONFIG_ZONE_DMA too, or should we give people
some grace period to fix the drivers as _everyone_ except you is
suggesting.

Please do the sensible thing.  Make it warn for a release like everyone
is telling you to.