Unnecessary cache-line flush on page table updates ?

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Fri Jul 15 12:24:42 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 02:09:07PM +0100, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 06:01:41PM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > >
> > > Another thing that could be optimised is not to clean and invalidate the
> > > D-cache but only clean to the PoU. The only problem is that
> > > (flush|invalidate)_kernel_vmap_area, functions that seem to used only in
> > > a single place. The semantics in cachetlb.txt claim to be used for I/O,
> > > which means that they are already broken since we don't handle the L2
> > > cache.
> >
> > Those are newly introduced to cope with XFS wanting DMA to vmap'd areas
> > to work.  They're there to handle the vmalloc-space alias of the pages.
> > The DMA API sorts out the kernel direct-mapped plus L2 for non-virtually
> > tagged L2 caches.
> >
> > So they're just an additional pre-flush and post-invalidate calls around
> > the DMA API to cope with vmalloc space aliases.  So I don't think they're
> > broken.
>
> OK, so in this case these functions need to go to the point of
> coherency. We could also optimise them to do pre-cleaning and
> post-invalidation rather than always clean&invalidate.
>
> Can we not use dmac_flush_range() (or dma_clean_range and dma_inv_range
> via dmac_(map|unmap)_area) instead of __cpuc_flush_dcache_area?

We got rid of the clean and invalidate interfaces because they weren't
suitable for cross-CPU cache handling (they were defined by implementation
rather than purpose.)

We don't have enough information here to be able to call the map/unmap
functions (the DMA direction would be a nonsense) so I think these
should be new callbacks into the CPU cache code, and we do whatever
is necessary in the low level stuff, rather than trying to overload
existing functions.