Unnecessary cache-line flush on page table updates ?

Catalin Marinas catalin.marinas at arm.com
Wed Jul 6 11:52:14 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 10:46:52AM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 10:26:00AM +0100, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> > >
> > > Actually, we don't need to do BTC invalidate in flush_cache_vmap(),
> > > but we do need to do a dsb+isb.
> >
> > Why would we need an ISB?
>
> Because the ARM ARM tells us that we must do a dsb+isb to ensure that
> instructions are visible to the instruction stream after a change to
> the page tables.
>
> I've since added the dsb+isbs back to the TLB ops because the ARM ARM
> is qutie explicit that both are required to ensure that explicit
> accesses see the effect of the TLB operation.  To me it is rather
> perverse that an ISB is required to ensure that this sequence works:
>
> 	write page table entry
> 	clean
> 	dsb
> 	flush tlb entry
> 	dsb
> 	isb
> 	read/write new page

The same requirement can be found in latest (internal only) ARM ARM as
well. I think the reason is that some memory access already in the
pipeline (but after the TLB flush) may have sampled the state of the
page table using an old TLB entry, even though the actual memory access
will happen after the DSB.

--
Catalin