Tegra device name for device tree

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Tue Jul 5 14:29:56 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 12:22 PM, Stephen Warren <swarren at nvidia.com> wrote:
> Grant et. al.,
>
> It recently dawned on me that all the Tegra DeviceTree support is using a
> marketing name for the SoC ("tegra250"). NVIDIA would prefer that we use
> engineering names for the SoC (e.g. "tegra20" now, "tegra30" for an
> upcoming SoC). The primary motivation for this is that engineering names
> tend to be more stable and map more directly to the HW design.
>
> Is it still possible to make this change, if I submit the appropriate
> patches to do this?

Yes, please do.  I'm completely in support of that.

> So, far, I see devicetree/next only refers to the Tegra serial port,
> whereas devicetree/arm and devicetree/test refer to more Tegra devices in
> this way. I'm not quite sure how the flow of patches works between these 3
> trees. For the serial port, I obviously need to submit a patch against
> devicetree/next, but I'm not so sure about which of devicetree/arm or
> devicetree/test to target for the other devices.

devicetree/next is the stuff I'm actually merging.  devicetree/test is
stuff being experimented with, and devicetree/arm is stuff I expect to
get merged, but I'm not actually merging through my tree (or just
isn't quite ready yet).  You can use devicetree/test as a staging
ground for getting things ready for upstream.  Let me know if anything
you see in devicetree/test needs to get upstreamed ASAP because your
work depends on it, and we'll figure out how/when to get it done.

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.
Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.