HIGHMEM is broken when working in SMP V6 mode

saeed bishara saeed.bishara at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 11:34:24 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 04:38:01PM +0200, saeed bishara wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I've port 2.6.35 to SMP system that runs in V6 mode, this system
>> doesn't support TLB operations broadcasting by hw, so it uses IPI
>> messages for that.  when enabling DEBUG_LOCKDEP, I got the following
>> error message while booting the system from NFS:
>
> You've bypassed this check:
>
>                if (is_smp() && tlb_ops_need_broadcast()) {
>                        /*
>                         * kmap_high needs to occasionally flush TLB entries,
>                         * however, if the TLB entries need to be broadcast
>                         * we may deadlock:
>                         *  kmap_high(irqs off)->flush_all_zero_pkmaps->
>                         *  flush_tlb_kernel_range->smp_call_function_many
>                         *   (must not be called with irqs off)
>                         */
>                        reason = "without hardware TLB ops broadcasting";
>                }
>
> so you lose.  There's reasons why such checks are put in.  We can not
> support SMP and highmem on systems which do not have TLB broadcasting.
> That's not because the code doesn't support it, it's because there are
> deadlocks which will occur.
thanks, I missed that

> The fact is that it is unsafe to send IPIs with IRQs disabled, which
> means you can't IPI a TLB operation and wait for it to complete with IRQs
> disabled.
as I understand it, the lock_kmap() started to disable IRQs in order
to support the vivt and vipt caches, but in SMP (at least in my case),
the caches are PIPT, so I think I can do the following:
1. undef  the  ARCH_NEEDS_KMAP_HIGH_GET
2. use page_address instead of kmap_high_get()
do you think it will work?
saeed