[RFC] MMC: error handling improvements

Brian Swetland swetland at google.com
Wed Feb 16 18:06:06 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 1:01 PM, Linus Walleij <linus.walleij at linaro.org> wrote:
> 2011/2/16 David Brown <davidb at codeaurora.org>:
>> The driver doesn't directly
>> access the registers of the controller, but all accesses go through a
>> custom DMA engine.
>> (...)
>> The SDCC block is shared between
>> the modem processor and the processor running Linux.  If the driver
>> doesn't go through the DMA engine, which coordinates this, the registers
>> will be stomped on by the other CPU whenever it decides to access it's
>> parts of the flash device.
>
> That's significant, I agree. That the DMA engine is custom
> instead of using the <linux/dmaengine.h> interface is not
> making things easier, but it's another issue. If it did, I think it
> could quite easily use mmci.c.
>
> At the same time what you're saying sounds very weird:
> the ios handler in mmc_sdcc does not request any DMA
> channel before messing with the hardware, it simply just write
> into registers very much in the style of mmci.c. Wouldn't that
> disturb any simultaneous access to the MMC from another
> CPU?

On MSM7x01,7x2x,8x50,8x55,7x30 the overall design involves both the
baseband cpu (running AMSS) and the apps cpu (running Linux) sharing a
single SDCC to read/write different partitions on NAND.

The way register access for the SDCC is synchronized between these two
cores is by using a locking primitive built into the MSM DMA
controller.  If you don't use this indirect access model (via DMA
transactions to the registers), you end up tripping over the baseband
or the other way 'round.  It's not fun.

Later Qualcomm chipsets move away from this model (yay) and that
should simplify things quite a bit.

Brian