[GIT PULL] at91: devices and boards files update for 3.3

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Fri Dec 16 16:03:01 EST 2011

Hi Nicolas,

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Nicolas Ferre <nicolas.ferre at atmel.com> wrote:

> Yes, this ISI driver addition is also dependent on an update of the ISI
> driver itself that will certainly be included in 3.3 by Guennadi using
> v4L2 path.
>
> So, do we have to wait for its inclusion in linux-next or maybe we can
> manage this little out-of-sync situation during the 3.3 life cycle...
>
> ISI is a "several times reworked" and "long-awaited" driver and I really
> would like to see it included in mainline soon...

I don't see why code that is known to be broken should be added to the kernel.

The way these things are normally handled is that once Guennadi has
the patch on a stable branch, we can add that branch as a dependency
that your code requires. So we pull that in as a dependency and apply
your code on top of it (or, if it is just one or two patches, that
they are are cherry-picked into your branch in the same way).

But that requires that he picks up the v4l patches and keeps it in a
stable, small, branch and that said branch gets merged in the 3.3
merge window before the branch containing these at91 changes do.

Guennadi, sound reasonable to you?

-Olof